Sunday, April 28, 2013

Leon Leyson


The latest portrait is of Leon Leyson. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but many friends have seen him talk at Fullerton College about life and being a holocaust survivor. Leon was the youngest worker saved by Oskar Schindler and his story was portrayed in the movie Schindler's List. Everyone who has seen him lecture mentions how moved they were and what a great guy he is. Fullerton College is honoring him at this year's commencement ceremony and then the portrait will hang somewhere on campus.
The reference photo was taken by McKenzi Taylor and it has elements I like to work with; it is crystal clear, has strong lighting and captures a great expression. I changed the coloring a bit and narrowed the depth of field. I also got wind that he was a wood shop teacher, so I put him in a Penny's kind of wardrobe instead of a suit. This was a real treat to paint and I hope his family finds his positive qualities in the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment